New verse. Imperative (He/she/it MUST go!)
Source: Introduction to Sanskrit (4th Ed) – Thomas Egenes – Part Two
This session deals with: CH19, PG 11-12.
Imperative: loṭ लोट्
- Think Emperor. He issues COMMANDS.
- EG: He/she/it MUST (shall, ought to) __! Let him go!
- Negated with mā मा.
- EG: mā vidviśāvahai मा विद्विशावहै : We (two) shall/must not quarrel.
- If root is Parasmaipada: VOL2PG11 or LRB43
- If root is Ātmanepada: VOL2PG12 or LRB44
- Construction Formula:
- STEM + P/Ā [Garden PG4 (47, 48 / 55, 56)]
|You must(ought to) go to the forest!||tvam vanam gaccha
त्वं वनं गच्छ
|(You) Ask about eternal knowledge!||nityam jñānam pṛccha
नित्यं ज्ञानं पृच्छ
|May you obtain happiness!||sukhaṃ labhasva
|O Blessed Rāma, come to the village!||bhagavan rāma! grāmam āgaccha
भगवन् राम ग्रामं आगच्छ
|You (all) must speak the truth!||satyam vadata / satyam bhāṣadhvam
सत्यं वदत / सत्यं भाषध्वम्
|Let us go to the river!||nadīm gacchāma
Resources used in class:
- Chant new verse: In Praise of Ganesha.
- Say out loud paradigm for Imperative on pg 11-12 (including #4 on pg 12).
- Do following exercises on pg 15:
- 5 a, c, f
- 6 b, d, f, g
You'll have more questions throughout the course. How to ask? Leave in comments below, so others can also benefit. We'll respond within 48 hours. Only ask specific to this Lesson.
Recorded 7 Nov, 2021