What's covered: First 6 vowels in devanāgarī. How verb formed. Verbs √gam, √prach. Word for “and”. And how to make basic sentence.
Source: Introduction to Sanskrit (4th Ed) – Thomas Egenes – Part One
Resources for entire course:
- Textbook PDF file used in class. It is 3rd Ed. (Copyright: Book is by Thomas Egenes. To support his work, consider buying one of his books.)
- Sanskrit Verses download.
- Spoken Sanskrit download.
- How to pronounce each letter of Sanskrit alphabet: text | audio.
- Windows software to type Roman characters with diacritics (EG: ṇ, ñ, ḍ, ś, ṣ, etc).
- Table of various encodings to write sanskrit.
Guidelines for entire course:
- Create a plan which incorporates at least 3-10 hours per week for homework and memorization. Each class will revise the previous.
- You're expected to go through the exercises in the book – before coming to next class. Answers are also end of book.
- If busy life, then at least do half.
- If still busy, then at least do quarter.
- Verse: On Practice
- Spoken Sanskrit: Week 1
- Devanāgarī practice sheet for week 1. (a, ā, u, ū, i, ī)
- Rule: Left-to-right. Top-to-bottom. Roof last.
- Ensure know how to pronounce 6 vowel letters: text | audio.
- Do exercises in book.
You'll have more questions throughout the course. How to ask? Leave in comments below, so others can also benefit. I will respond in 72 hours. Only ask specific to Lesson.
Recorded 1 March, 2020