6 Months Sanskrit Language Learning Course – Melbourne Classes
March 1 @ 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
Sanskrit language classes will begin on March 1, 2020.
Program will be taught in comprehensive detail, and presented in gradual step-by-step increments. A > B > C > D, etc. Each section builds onto the previous.
Intention of weekly physical classes is two fold:
- Learn the Sanskrit language.
- Opportunity to interact in Sanskrit with other class members. Because we know learning can easily be done at home. But nothing compares to real life interaction.
Contents of curriculum:
- Devanāgarī script (will learn to write/read) (EG: रामः पुत्रेण वनम् गच्छति ). Majority of Sanskrit literature is in devanāgarī.
- Transliteration IAST with diacritics (EG: asti avidyā saṃsāre iti śrī kṛṣṇa vadati )
- Hundreds of grammar rules
- Ability to speak, write and read.
To respect individual learning styles, we'll move at reasonable peace. Neither too slow, nor too fast. The speed will also be influenced by confidence of the collective class. This way slower type learners are not discouraged.
Students will also receive weekly homework to integrate class learnings. Students will be marking their own homework through self-honesty.
CONSIDER: Majority will stop coming by 5th week. Once the emotional honey moon is over and student realizes that Sanskrit requires a sharp intellect, logical thinking, appeal for memorization… then only most committed students will remain.
Therefore, don't signup if:
- Mind can not FOCUS and TOTALLY absorb itself into the subject matter for more then 40 min.
- Quickly lose patience/heart when challenges arise.
- Dislike thinking logically or constantly memorizing new material.
- Carrying a western fantasy-notion of Sanskrit being an “ancient God-language which facilitates spiritual enlightenment“.It opens doors to śāstra (scriptures) as much as poetry or drama. Thus it's more correct to see it as a highly sophisticated and accurate language, no different to Shakespearean peak era of English or even German and Tamil, etc.
We will get along if:
- Looking for deep familiarity with Sanskrit for personal reasons.
- Attracted to using high level of intellectual power and logic. Sanskrit DEMANDS sharp, clear minds. The depth of rocket scientist's analytical thinking. And precision of heart surgeon's use of tools.
- Consider self a long-term committed learner.
Book required to follow the curriculum:
Introduction to Sanskrit: Part One (Thomas Egenes – 4th edition): Amazon
We can find book's PDF preview here (3rd edition). Although, I do not recommend the PDF. It is meant for preview only. Because Amazon's 4th edition (2011) has corrected some mistakes.
Screenshot of latest 4th edition (book from Amazon):
Previous experience needed?
Course starts from beginning, assuming student has 0.0% prior exposure to Sanskrit.
When and Where?
Classes will be every Sunday 10am-12pm, starting from 1 March 2020.
At 4 Rosalind Cres, Blackburn, VIC
Andre V, learned Sanskrit from McComas Taylor. Consider myself a student of Sanskrit until end of life.
Note that our classes are not associated with any University, nor is there a “certificate”, or class-marks. It is considered residential-private classes. But curriculum is strictly how I learned in University.
Teacher has independent world job – and solely teaches because Sanskrit is a personal passion. Also it's duty to keep Sanskrit alive considering it's linguistic ingenuity.
However I am setting up a initial one-time $5 commitment fee. Why? Because if it’s free signup – many flock, but few come. Any facilitator knows this phenomena.
Moment one puts dollar value on something, person is compelled to think twice, which is exactly my intention. I want you to THINK if this is really for you.
Also, after signing up above, enter details below so I can communicate with you about current or future classes…